The most basic traffic rules written in Malayalam hang from a traffic signal post at Kalady junction on the MC Road in Kerala. (Traffic signals are called just “traffic” in Kerala. So what is traffic actually called? A “block”. Yeah we are complicated.
The rules written are as follows:
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Always wear seatbelts.
- Do not overtake from the left.
- Do not use mobiles while driving.
- Two-wheelers keep to the left side of the road.
- Obey traffic rules.
- Prevent accidents and accident deaths.
– Superintendent of Police, Ernakulam Rural.
A flex board at Kalathilpady, close to the town limits of Kottayam, Kerala, sarcastically spews venom against a garbage dump at nearby Vadavathoor. Tons of garbage produced by Kottayam town and surroundings is being dumped near here for two decades now, and shows no sign of abating, despite several protests. The stench when you near Vadavathoor on the KK Road has reached unmanageable proportions. Kalathilpady is the “gateway” to Vadavathoor. This will pretty soon grow into a catastrophe if something is not done fast. Yeah, right. In our country.
“We, the residents of Hell, welcome you to Vadavathoor. Please feel free to enjoy our stinking breeze.”
- Black, thick, disease carrying filthy soup prepared from rotting garbage
- Snacks: Unsorted putrid garbage packed in black plastic covers
- Music and Dance: Flies, Mosquitoes, Dogs, Cats, Cockroaches, Snails, Crows, Bandicoots.
We thank the rich people of Kottayam for contributing their priceless garbage everyday.
Vadavathoor Action Council 9495876196
You can view the Vadavathoor Solid Waste Garbage dump on Google Maps here